Ingredients for Big Sky Muffin Recipe
2 cups Bearpaw Heritage Pancake Mix
1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
2/3 cup coconut sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/3 cup oil
1 cup applesauce
1/4 cup Einkorn flour (or Bearpaw Pancake & Baking Mix, but will make the streusel melt into the muffin top)
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of fine sea salt
3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
1 teaspoon allspice
Ready to get started?
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Fill a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the Baking Mix with the cinnamon and allspice.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil and applesauce.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg with the sugar on medium-low for 1 minute, then high for 4 minutes, until they become creamy and thick.
- Fold the flour mixture into the egg. Gently stir in the applesauce oil mixture into the batter. Toss in the walnuts.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the cups, filling nearly to the rim of the cup. Sprinkle streusel topping on top of each muffin.
- Place the muffins in the oven, then reduce the oven temperature to 375F. Bake for 30 minutes until a toothpick comes away clean when inserted into the center of the muffin. Let cool in pan for 15minutes, then remove from pan.
- Preheating the oven to a higher temperate and then lowering it once the muffins go in the oven helps give muffins a nice shape and lighter texture.
- Beating eggs with sugar until they become creamy and thick gives strength to the structure of the muffin.
(Click on image to enlarge)