Ingredients for Savory Pancake Recipe
1 cup Bearpaw Savory Baking Mix
2 bunches scallions
1/4 cup oil
1 tablespoon curry powder,preferably Madras
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Fine sea salt
1/2 cup yellow lentils, rinsed
1-1/2 cups plain yogurt
1 large egg,lightly beaten
1-1/4 teaspoon lime juice
Freshly ground black pepper
Ready to get started?
- In a 2 quart saucepan, add 1-1/2 cups of water to the 1/2 cup lentils. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until tender. Drain through a sieve, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. You should have about a cup of cooked lentils.
- Transfer the lentils to a medium bowl and mash with a fork, adding reserved cooking liquid if necessary. To the lentils, add yogurt, egg and 1/4 cup oil, and stir to combine.
- Trim the scallions and thinly slice the whites to yield 1/2 cup. Slice enough of the green to yield 1-1/2 cups.
- Heat 1-1/2 teaspoons oil in skillet over medium heat. Add the scallion whites and cook for 2 minutes. Add another 1-1/2 teaspoons of oil and add the curry, cumin and salt.
- Cook, stirring until combined and fragrant. Add cooked and raw scallions to the lentil mix.
- Place the Bearpaw Savory Baking Mix in a medium bowl. Add the lentil mix and blend well.
- Lightly oil a griddle and heat to 375F. Pour batter onto the griddle to make 5″ sized pancakes.
- Serve with lime yogurt (1/2 cup yogurt, lime juice and black pepper) or smoked salmon.
(Click on image to enlarge)